Kimball Consolette keytop problem

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 28 18:08:25 MST 2007

Well, okay. I charge $150 for new, plastic, one piece whites, extra for sharps. Takes me a couple of hours in shop and maybe another half to one hour trimming and fitting in the field. It is especially nice if I am also rebushing the keys.
I have a bandsaw with jig to cut off old fronts. Pop, scrape, and steam off old tops. And et cetera ... nothing fancy. It may not, strictly speaking, be possible to charge out at full shop rates and times but it is enjoyable, the results are satisfying (fun to see the customer go oooh aaaah) and profitable. There are other jobs that also are "losers," strictly speaking but still bring in the money. One that comes to mind is new bridal straps ...
On the other hand, there is great profit in Dampp-Chasers, both in mark-up and labor. If I actually charged as much as they suggest on their website, I'd feel guilty! If they didn't REALLY make a difference, I wouldn't sell them.
EXCEPT the stupid undercovers. They also really work so I guess the customer is paying for the results, not the product, but I think they are absurdly overpriced to us and cannot take much of a markup, if any, on them. And installing them is one of my least favorite jobs, second only to tuning crappy console/spinet player pianos.
Smilin' ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
Joshua 24:15