Yamaha Aluminum Rails

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 29 16:21:18 MST 2007

Hello Technicians. I was working on a Yamaha console this morning,
replacing three hammer butt flanges whose string spring catch had
snapped. When I was replacing one of the hammer butt flanges into the
aluminum rail, the original screw did not screw in easily. In fact,
no matter how I tried to insert the screw, I could not get the
hammer butt flange to tighten. The screw itself does seem to be
slightly bent. Do have any experiences with his type of problems with
aluminum rails?

Thanks
Jim,
The last time I did some work on a Yammie, I stumbled on a surefire method. Use a light weight cordless screwdriver, (mine is an AKG single speed w/torque adjustor). Because Yammie rail screws are Bi, (slot or phillips), I was using a phillips bit about 4" long to remove/insert the screws. I found that, if you run the screw backwards a few revolutions and then forward, the screw will slightly bevel the hole and allow the screw to self-align! A true epiphany !!! IMO. Try it, you'll like it. Of course a sensitive feel of the tool is part of the equation.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I