kneading hammers

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jun 1 12:37:17 MDT 2007

You know, the more I think about voicing using Vise-Grips rather than
pliers, the less I like it.  I see the logic that once it's set up, the
pressure applied to each hammer is theoretically the same.  BUT, I think it
would be all too easy to accidentally drop it while attached to the hammer
felt, or catch it on a sleeve, or in some other way do something that might
almost rip the felt off the hammer.(or the hammer head off the shank)
because the Grip is gripping it!
Plus, the hammers may not all require the same pressure anyway.  It sounds
safer and maybe speedier to me to proceed cautiously with a not-too-huge
pair of pliers.

Best,

David.