technicians or tuners

Arbeau Piano ArbeauPiano at comcast.net
Sun Jun 3 11:21:45 MDT 2007

I was trained by one of our great PTG mentors who himself did not "play at all". I learned many, many things of which I'm very grateful to him. My process of refinement and improvement beyond that continued by others who are techs that themselves do play, hear and challenge voicing, regulation and repetition based upon their musical skills.

A fellow tech who was trained with me at the very same time under this same mentor, earned her RPT status at the very onset but now after 20 years later has expressed feeling limited in some of the refinement areas. I agree that nothing can replace solid tuning techniques and checks but there is something to be said about having some degree of  what I refers to my customers as, "Running the piano around the block" after completely tuning/servicing it and before presenting them the bill. It is during this last process I discover some small adjustments needed that are not always evident with the normal servicing procedures. Sometimes it is this time that helps me realize future work to be sold the customer to bring more potential to their piano.

Just my humble opinion,
Jerry Arbeau