Do you play piano?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Jun 3 14:29:41 MDT 2007

I'm enjoying this interesting thread!

I guess there is more than one definition of "play".  Does "play piano"
necessarily mean that one must be able to play FROM SIGHT any piece of sheet
music placed on the music desk?

Does being able to "play piano" include those persons who have a phenomenal
gift for playing any tune "by ear", including many 'classical' pieces, but
who cannot play from sight?

Personally, I can't honestly say that I play piano.  It is a huge hole in my
life.  When I grew up in the 1960s, there wasn't the spare money for
lessons, there was a dearth of good teachers in the area, and it wasn't
fashionable anyway.  But I love the piano and piano music so much, I wish I
could play.  I have no  gift at all for playing "by ear", BUT, I have taught
myself a variety of pieces by painstakingly picking the notes off the sheet
music and committing to memory - "finger memory".  Thus, I can rattle off
Chopin's Waltz in Ab Op 69 # 1, Chopin's Prelude #15, Gershwin's 2nd
Prelude, Kern's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", a couple of pages of Rondo
Grazioso from Beethoven Sonata # 2 (very rusty now), Bach Prelude #1, etc
etc.  So I can at least rattle out a few things, and customers often seem
impressed!

I do feel that  if one cannot play any tune AT ALL, some dimension must be
missing - how can one truly get a "feel" for different pianos, regulation
etc?  And where is the joy in the piano?  Even the few things I have learned
to play, afford me a great deal of playing pleasure.

Best wishes,

David.