kneading hammers

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Jun 4 12:04:36 MDT 2007

David Boyce wrote:
> Well Rupert, it just goes to show, I can't find a thing when it's
> staring me in the face!
>
> There it is sure enough on p61 of my revised third edition 1976 reprint.
>
> That one little paragraph raises big questions and leaves 'em
> unanswered, I fear.  What is meant by gas pliers?  Pliers such as would
> be used by a gasfitter?

Gas pliers have a concave section in the jaw to grip pipe as well as a
straight section at the tip.  Vise-Grips, as well as some others, have a
similar profile.

The reason to use them vs:needle nose or linemans (for examples) is to
emulate a parallel jaw where the pressure is even at the contact area
rather than a "scissors" effect.

Definitely a last ditch effort to soften ossified hammers, but folks
with blond oak finish 242s and 243s aren't likely to spring for new... ;-[

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.