Better Tuning, was Re: Sanderson Accu-tuner

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Jun 8 14:36:15 MDT 2007

On Jun 8, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Rick Osborne wrote:

> Although I am tuning pianos for pay and am fairly  pleased with my
> work, I am keenly aware that I will never be completely satisfied
> with my work as a tuner until I am satisfied with it as a teacher
> and musician.
Right on.  That's the attitude to take.

> I believe that I'm doing all the right things, but I still want to
> progress more quickly.  I would also like to speed up my tuning in
> a client's home.  So, I am giving serious consideration to
> purchasing a Sanderson Accu-tuner.  I have heard wonderful things
> about this piece of equipment and, my intentions have always been
> to buy one eventually. Any input from some of you who own one would
> be very helpful.
I deeply encourage you to get some one-on-one mentoring with a great
aural tuner before you jump off into ETD-land.

Please consider coming to KC this June; it would be my pleasure to
give you an hour of tutoring if you would make a donation to the PTG
foundation.

I believe our wetware, our bodies, are massively underutilized in the
tuning process, and I----or any real good "ear" tuner---could give
you some immensely helpful tips in a short period of time to improve
your speed and your pleasure.

I'll say it again: the more "custom" and musical your tunings are,
based on the piano you're tuning's UNIQUE tuning/stretching/
inharmonicity requirements, the more rapidly your reputation will
grow, and your journey to the high end of our business will be turbo-
charged. That's the cold, hard Darwinian reality out here in the real
world. Don't even think about challenging this one; I've seen it over
and over again in the 35 years I've been in the craft and business---
the guy that tunes best wins. Period.

So---using an ETD to train your ears is a beautiful thing---and
ultimately, listening with a relaxed, focused attention
is the greatest tool you have, and the most profitable AND
pleasurable skillset to acquire.

Stay aural for a while; get some help.  Then, when you please
yourself aurally, if you want to use a machine as an aid to
improvement, fine.

Just like muscles, both your ears and your ability to listen in a
relaxed and focused manner need to be exercised in order to improve,
and improvement is the lifeblood of a healthy piano service career.

Best,
David Andersen