Tuning Softly - was Re: Sanderson Accu-tuner

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 10 05:08:36 MDT 2007

Good post John.
There becomes a point when one  is intuitively and completely in control of moving the string and pin. When string/ pin movement is induced by the tuner it is critical that the tuner beware of any after-movement that surely will follow. There's slack in the string, and there's type of slack in the pin. Both require settling before they are firmly in place to be rock-solid.Like David Andersen mentioned, it's not necessarily how hard one hits the key, but rather using a series of test blows of much lighter proportion will achieve the same end result.  The later is easier on your joints and much easier on your ears.
Experience teaches up some important lessons. We learn that there are going to be certain type of pianos which are notorious for string/pin instability. The Steinway studio tops list. But when design is working in your favor, and stability is quite easily achieved, lighten up.
I've had my share of shoulder and wrist pains and believe me, it gets my full attention. I usually look at this as a sign that my work technique is drifting away from the most economical motion.
Tom Servinsky