Steam treating hard hammers

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Jun 11 22:38:02 MDT 2007

Hi Wayne
  I've experienced this malady many.many times over  the years with a variety
of Asian pianos. So if experience is a profound teacher  & you want to
benefit from the hard knocks of others,  then listen.  Petrified felt will always be
........Petrified.   Explain it to the client clearly. A rock is a rock
    The money she saved on the piano now needs  to go towards a hammer
transplant.  There are times when heroic measures  don't work & the patient/hammers,
what ever, are dead on arrival. You've  done the heroic measures & so,
Knowing when to just say no, is an  important part of the next generation of
protocols coming our way on these  "pianos".....  sorry, I mean  " Fortes"
  I often think we as technicians are shy about telling  our clients the
truth with confidence.  Well,...I just had to finally get  over it, & when I did
& every body was better served and less  frustrated in the long run.
  Hope it works out.
  Dale

I have a  customer with a newer Chinese piano with harsh sounding hammers. I
have tried  chemical softener, needled and the piano still sounds bad. The
customer has  chemical sensitivity so I can't use anything in her home now. I was
there a  couple of weeks ago and used the steam method on the hammers and it
work  great. I was happy and the customer was happy, but today she left a
voice mail  saying the piano is harsh sounding again. How long will the steam
method last?  Will I need to do this often? I just want to have a happy customer
with out  having to swap pianos with her.

Wayne

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner /  Technician

Musicstop Acoustic Piano  Service