glue strength

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Jun 13 11:31:46 MDT 2007

Hi Terry,

Again, good point.  Very true in terms of strength.  I guess I was pointing
out the strength issues, primarily as Hot Hide related to Cold Hide, given
many a technician's propensity for Hot Hide because of a belief that it has
superior strength over Cold Hide.  I do recognize that another reason some
don't like cold is because it is suggested that it's working time is too
long for some applications.  I can see that would be a valid point, but I've
not experienced it.  As Paul R-J says, he uses it with great success in Key
rebushing.

I completely agree that strength is irrelevant if the failure in the testing
is in the wood.  The article stated that there were both types of failures
(in the joint, and in the wood) and said that joint failures were
predictable mostly in the weaker glues, but they were not specific as to
which ones.  Could use more info there.

And yes.  Certainly we should be choosing our glues with their working
properties as a major consideration.  Thanks to everyone for reminding us
(me) of these things.

William R. Monroe