Why NOT to polish bass strings.......

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Jun 28 11:28:36 MDT 2007

Hi Randy.

Knowing that my english can be confusing, I wanted to precise that I was
talking about a piano hammer, not a woodworker hammer, when saying banging
the string with heavy strokes.  Just that nobody tries this with the wrong
tool, and then question my mind health.
Your plucking idea sounds nice.  I was also thinking about securing the
string at the agraffee and at the bridge, as I believe that it is the
excessively steep bending of the string at the terminations that causes
metal fatigue and possible breakage.

John,
I agree that nothing sounds like a good new bass string.  The two occasions
when I try to save the old string are 1° when there is only one or two
offendable in the whole set (I really don't like those pianos with just a
few blinking new strings among the other darker ones), and 2° when the
historical value of the instrument asks for retaining as much of the
original as possible.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin