Fw: unduplexed Steinway

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Jun 29 07:36:56 MDT 2007

James
  I've rebuilt many of these & the stringer always loves  not having to
wrestle with the duplexes. As to Steinways reasoning ....Who  knows...there all
dead now.  It was probably a manufacturing  decision.  Perhaps they even argued
among them selves as to the benefits of  the rear duplex...OH MY!!
  Probably made for ten years or so, not that it's  important
   Dale

>  This morning I tuned what appears to be a Steinway (0).  This is from
> 124xxx
> serial number (1907) that has no separate duplex bars  in the back scale.
> Instead there is a curved raised ridge where the  duplex bars would have
> been.  I have seen probably about 6 of  these in my life.  How long did
> these models exist and what was  Steinway's reason for this change during
> this era?
>  Thanks,
> James

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations