partial answers

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 29 09:01:34 MDT 2007

Allan,

You're lucky to have such an inquisitive apprentice. Maybe the answer is
"Because it CAN", rather than "Because it DOES". It's been way too long
since I struggled with the underlying math, but I have a feeling this
could be explained by the second law of thermodynamics: Increase of
entropy. Mechanical systems always move towards a state of decreased
energy, which is often explained as an increase of disorder/chaos. The
more modes of vibration in the string, the greater the "disorder". It
certainly makes sense on an intuitive level that the vibrational energy
of the string will dissipate most quickly when the maximum number of
overtones are sounding. When we voice, we reduce or eliminate high
overtones, and increase sustain. Maybe. Anybody out there want to offer
a more rigorous analysis or rebuttal?

Mike