partial answers

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 10:38:48 MDT 2007

A quick Google on Pythagorus yields, among others, a page such as
<http://www.aboutscotland.com/harmony/prop.html>. In a nut shell,
Pythagorus was interested in mathematics and music, and his was a
process of emperical discovery, and description of systems that "make
sense" of his discoveries. The link to Alberti shows how these
mathematical-musical principles led to architectural theories of
proportion.
A good reason to brush up on classical & Renaissance history science
and philosophy!
I don't know what modern day heavy duty physics has to say about it.
Sigh, so much forgotten from school daze, and so little follow up on
these topics in the form of "leisure reading."
Patrick Draine