partial answers

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 29 09:08:11 MDT 2007

I don't know exactly why, but I do know that the motions of a chord (string) under tension are e x t r e m e l y complex. We always picture it moving  up and down, like a jump rope or something, but it also whips around on it's own longitudinal axis with the same wild motions.

Any time you set up a standing wave, in air or a solid medium, the sound, itself, divides into it's natural partials. The medium, itself, tends to reinforce or quash some of the partials. This, of course, is what makes the oboe sound different from the clarinet and, in fact, shapes the timbre, or unique sound, of every musical instrument. (And more subtly, the difference between a factory violin and a Strad)

So ... my theory (and it's only a guess, really) is that since the struck string naturally generates a fundamental and its overtone series, the sound energy of each partial actually feeds, or loops back to, the string energy at that frequency, thus the sound energy and mechanical energy reinforce each other until both are damped out by the resistance of the mediums of steel (and copper), wood, air, etc.

If I'm right, it would be like striking a tuning fork, then placing it on a resonator, maybe a guitar bridge. Both sound AND mechanical energy are transferred to a more obliging medium for producing sound--especially in the overtones, resulting in much louder partials. The trade-off, of course, is that the inefficiency of energy transfer to a medium that was just, after all, sitting there minding its own business, results in substantial diminution of sustain.

Hope that made sense. Love to hear from the scientific community ...

Alan Barnard

Salem, MO