Stringing jig

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Wed May 2 21:58:46 MDT 2007

Michelle:

Here at the school I made 6 jigs in about an hour for our students from pieces of pinblock material, 8" x 24" with a tuning pin toward one end as the hitch (anything else would pull out and it just means that you have to make your single-loop bigger to adapt, not a bad attitude to have), and two pins offset toward the front. In between, I created a large half-round from a 1 1/2" dowel for a bearing surface at the front, and a smaller half-round from a 3/4" dowel as a rear bearing surface. There are no agraffes, but it's plenty like a stringing reality to get the job done; splicing in the non-speaking length is just as tricky. The jigs are clamped flat to mimic grands, and double-clamped vertically to mimic uprights so that students get to figure out the differences between wirebend strategies for the two. If you want a picture let me know.

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)