Tuning Pin Angle

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 2 22:14:29 MDT 2007

> That's the way I see it. What do others have as a preference for tuning
> pin angle relative to string angle?
>
> Terry Farrell

I like somewhere around 88°. That corresponds fairly well with
the coil takeoff angle from the pin. Getting that angle is
another problem. When I was driving pins with my 4lb hammer, I
could drill the block at a specific angle and the pin would be
at that angle after I drove it in. Since I started using a
palm nailer, things changed. For reasons I haven't been able
to define, pins driven with the palm nailer, especially if
there's some tension on the string, will migrate and rotate
toward the bridge. I've had a couple of pianos end up with the
pins nearly on the rear edge of the plate webbing holes, and
with little or no back lean. Using a transfer punch larger
than the pin, and smaller than the plate hole, I can mark the
pin locations forward of center, and add a couple of degrees
to the drilling angle to get the things to center at  the
pitch angle I want after driving them.

Who else has run into this with palm nailers?
Ron N