Pretty Great Laminated Rib

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 3 04:34:08 MDT 2007

Oh, nothing really. I was just perusing my piano pictures and ran across it.

That was one of my first attempts a making a laminated rib. I think it was
made with narrow (maybe 30 mm wide) laminations that were pressed in my
pneumatic rib-to-panel press - one rib at a time. When the glue is on and
the pressure applied, the whole assembly became quite slippery and
laminations tended to wander every which way. Usually if I could get past
the first minute or two in the press retaining the narrow laminations in
place, all would be fine. But this one apparently waited those first few
minutes and then migrated when I wasn't looking and dried in that unique
form.

I thought I had saved that lovely work of art - I wanted to use it in my
rib-building class as a statement of encouragement - "don't give up even if
your first attempts are unsuccessful - we all have our flops before
success!" I never did find it.

Terry Farrell