Lowell Component Downbearing Gauge

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri May 4 07:05:27 MDT 2007

Hi Paul
  I totally get that & I was unclear. If the rear  segment is traveling
downhill from the aliquot to the rear bridge  pin because of bridge slope then
trying to measure bearing like this  can also be fraught with errors. Or you can
take it under advisement &   keep a wary eye on the results.
   Enclosed is a picture of a bearing gauge I posted  before. With this jig
even if the rear string angle travels down to the rear pin  the net over all
bearing can still be ascertained. I'm still fiddling with the  information this
gives but one thing is for sure, if there is real &  residual bearing in the
piano it is easily visible, to you & your  clients.
I.e. hold the gauge at the speaking length pins & rock  downwards so the rear
touches the aliquot.  If bearing is present then a  gap will be evident
between the aliquot & the bottom of the gauge.  On  a 5 inch string segment
yielding a gap of .065 thous (as measured with the gauge  in the picture) reveals
that there is about 3/4 of a degree of residual net  bearing.  Now this is a new
board set up at 1 1/2 degrees. SO I'v squashed  the board 3/4 of a degree.
  I like this because it's quicker than the Lowell &  more visual.  It may
not tell you everything but it tells a huge story  quickly. JMHO
  Frank, you should like this as a quick visual of  deflection.

 For accurate result the gauge must be held tightly  against the pins on the
front section while pivoting. I checked every piano in  the rebuilders gallery
in Rochester & all the pianos had significant  bearing that was immediately
obvious from the distance the gauge  rocked. & some possessed more than 1 1/2
degrees.  hmmm?
  Dale Erwin

Dale:

I'm not picturing what you're trying to describe. "The rear foot of the
gauge"? Both feet of the gauge sit on the "duplex" segment  when you're measuring
it, just as both feet of the gauge sit  on the speaking length when making
that measurement. Are you suggesting that  the "front foot" when measuring the
backscale is on the bridge and the rear  foot is off--on the backscale string?
This would an incorrect use of the tool,  and fraught with error. After zeroing
out the gauge on the bridge top (now  that's a measurement that's fraught
with error as well; if anyone assumes that  the bridge top is all in the same
plane, then there's a big mistake being  made), the gauge is moved wholly to the
front scale in front of the front  bridge pin for a measurement and then
wholly to the back scale behind the  rear bridge pin for measurement, and the two
combined yield a "net" bearing.  Am I misunderstanding you? As dull-witted as I
am, it wouldn't surprise  me.

Paul