Sticking keys

Paul McCloud service at pianosd.com
Fri May 4 11:33:36 MDT 2007

Hi, Dick:
            When diagnosing problems like this, I usually start at the
key, and move up the lever chain to the hammer flange.  Lift the wippen,
and see if the key bushings are tight.  If not, then see if the hammer
flanges are free.  Remove one, and swing  the hammer to see how tight
the flange is.  4-6 swings are ok. If the hammer flanges are free, and
the notes still stick, remove the action and see how tight the wippen
flanges are.  Remove one, and see.  You can tell right away if they are
the problem.  Somewhere in all of this, you'll find what you're looking
for.  Also, be sure to check the hammer spring loops.  Yamahas are prone
to breaking those loops.  If they break, the springs are likely to be
bent up too.  Good Luck!

            Paul McCloud