charge for time?

Andy Moore andy at makemooremusic.com
Tue May 8 07:00:20 MDT 2007

Geoff Sykes wrote:
> I can't believe that it's possible to both charge the customer for
> those miles and then deduct them as well. Is it? I would think that
> it's either one or the other.

When you drive somewhere, you have an expense in both gas and wear 'n'
tear on your vehicle.  The IRS acknowledges that as a legitimate expense
and allows you to deduct an amount designated by them.

*You don't actually get that amount back from the IRS, you just don't
pay taxes on it.*

The amount of money you actually get to save per mile is
(simplistically) whatever your tax rate is, ie., $0.485 at a rate of 27%
means you get to keep an extra 13(or so) cents per mile.  In other
words, the IRS is never there to do you favors.  Their sole purpose is
to confiscate your money so a politician can give it to somebody else.

I now yield the remainder of my soapbox time.

--
Andy Moore
Make Moore Music