Fujan lever, import

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue May 8 10:37:00 MDT 2007

My new Fujan lever arrived Friday morning and I took it with me as I drove to England
to visit a friend for the weekend. He had acquired an old piano that I promised to
tune.

For those in the UK buying a (beautiful) Fujan lever, I had to pay VAT (Value Added
Tax) on the imported lever, and in addition, Parcelforce charged a "Clearance Fee".
The total came to £44.77 (about eighty-nine Dollars).

In the end I couldn't use my new lever on my friend's piano!  The rear half of the
top lid overhung the pin block by too great an amount, and the pins were particularly
small.  I would have needed the 5/8" extension and a small head, both of which I will
now order. So in the end I used my Heckschers lever with small head.

I reflected that my tuning lever was worth more than the piano, a fine example of
cheap turn-of-20th-century English piano making at its inimitable worst.  I'm
attaching a photo of a lovely arrangement of tuning pins - don't you like the two
holes that almost merge?

So I'm still waiting to try out my new Fujan!

Best,

David.