Adjusting touch weight

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu May 17 19:26:49 MDT 2007

Well written, Owen.

Absolutely the first thing is to really get an understanding of what the pianist doesn't like.  For example, removing lead might be counterproductive.  While it increases DW/UW, it also decreases inertia which often gives a feeling of "less heavy."  In tech terms, of course it is not less heavy, but it is often "perceived" that way.  The pianist may be more responsive to the inertia in the key than the DW.  Adding lead might actually give the pianist the feel they desire.

How many leads are in the keys, BTW?

Best,
William R. Monroe

  I'd do a little investigating..not the piano, the client! Might save you the grief of having to explain to the factory rep what you did to "fix" a new C7.

  Misdiagnosis of piano problems can be exasperating, especially after "repairs" have been made...

  Owen

  I have a church client with a new Yamaha C7.  She feels the action is "too Light".  What can be done to make the action feel heavier ?