how about ? for damper felts

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri May 18 18:40:04 MDT 2007

Alan, you mention:

"I know: steam and wet cloth works very well on key bushings also, but
that's probably a little too radical too present here.

I'd be curious to hear if there are any other ideas on glue softening
solutions. This one works best with hide glue, naturally. Anybody have a
solution for white and other more stubborn glues?

Sincerely,

Allen Wright, RPT
London, UK"

I don't know about steam and wet cloth being too radical here - that method
was demonstrated in classes at the Pinao Tuners' Association cunventions
back in the mid 1980s - for both damper felt and key bushing removal.  I've
used it a few times for damper felts.  Have also used cutting (which I find
easier if there is underfelt to slice through).  Not sure which I prefer.
How are you liking Steinway London?  I have always found the staff very
pleasant and non-pressurising, any time I have taken clients in there.

As a little aside, partly connected to your thought about some things being
too radical here, I did always feel that the PTA was somehow mired in a
1950s "home counties" (counties around London) mentality.  One of the things
I really like about this forum is the spirit of help and willingness to
share information and to see 'newbies' progress.  Nor is anyone here too
"precious" about  those who do piano tuining and repair as a part-time
occupation - as long as they offer an honest and capable service, of course.

Best wishes,

David.