Yamaha CP70

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun May 20 23:37:53 MDT 2007

> Are these the wretched beasts that I tried to tune
> aurally back in the 80's?  It pains me to recall.

That's them. You'll be gratified to know they haven't aged
beneficially.

> Worse than the piano was the owners who thought
> they only needed tuning infrequently and when a
> major pitch correction was needed... what!?....
> this is not an acoustic piano.

Perspective police: You can go over them twice and pull them
up from way down in under 45 minutes, leaving them no worst
off than if you'd spent three days trying to tune them
perfectly. They have the same bridge and pinblock
configuration of an out of tune acoustic instrument, and since
the soundboard seems to have little to do with pianos (or
pretenders) going out of tune, there's little reason to
presume they'll be more stable.

> As if being electric had some magical quality to stay in tune.
> But naive me didn't think about plate compression, since no
> sounding board...    Of course I didn't want to spend too much
> time on them... still brings a shutter.
>
> Ah to be young and foolish once again.  But keep those things far, far
> away.

While I can't claim young any more, I can still reserve
foolish. What does plate compression have to do with pianos
going out of tune?

Ron N