Yamaha CP70

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon May 21 06:31:49 MDT 2007

>What does plate compression have to do with pianos going out of tune?

I was referring to a large pitch change. The 'musician' in question told
everyone I was a conscientious tuner because I retuned (gratis) the piano
a week later after 'tuning' it not-so-well.

At the time I was under the impression that sound board deflection resulting
from the increased tension was what caused instability on a pitch correction.
SO without a sound board... no deflection...  hence no problem...
The guy was such a jerk that I never bothered to explain pitch change
instability.
That was a live and learn situation.

That was the last time I ever placed a tuning hammer to one,
next one will be a sledge hammer.

Now I explain the instability of pitch correction multiple times to a customer
but it still seems to cause their eyes to glaze over.
--

Regards,

Jon Page