Artist Bench Repairs

Terence Miller innuuuu at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 08:19:02 MDT 2007

Dear List:

  Tuning an older Hamilton at a school last week, I almost fell off the  bench. At first I thought it was my girth, but no, 5 of the 6 screws  holding the mechanism to the bench were missing.   The  teacher said "Wow" and also mentionned that she couldn't adjust the  seat. I took it home.

  Now, this is the inexpensive version of a true artist bench. The height  didn't adjust because the adjustment rods fell out of their tracks when  the suppport angle/flanges splayed, and they splayed when the screws  departed, and the screws departed because they pulled out of the 1"  thick cardboard/oatmealboard they were supposed to be attached  to.  Little tiny 1/2" screws. No way I could just put them back.  Nothing but air were they were to go.

  At first I thought toggle bolts would do the trick....but the bench has  storage, so whatever I came up with, I couldn't go through the  oatmealboard into the storage area.

  So

  I cleaned up the holes...drilled down about 3/4" with a 3/4" forstner  bit.  Firmed up the cavity by dousing the area with CA glue, and  filled the hardened cavity with LakeOne wood restorer.....firms up nice  and quick. Next morning I straightened out the lift assembly and placed  the whole thing on the lid. Drilled pilot holes for new screws. I put  strips of that thick double-sided foam tape on the flange....if the  screws fall out again maybe the seat will stay on with the tape...and  screwed the thing together. Lift mechanism works...as well as it ever  did.

  It's been ok for a week, I saw it last night.

  Terry Miller