business building spreadsheet

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon May 21 20:52:51 MDT 2007

Dear List,

The attached Excel and Open Office spreadsheet might be helpful to
those of us who
need a little push in the business building end of our work. I
personally struggle with getting motivated to line up work, and as a
result, end up getting less than I could. (There is a lazy streak in
me that's pretty wide. <grin>)   This spreadsheet will give you a
quick look at your income potential if YOU get off your buns and make
some calls.

It's so simple - only two columns and eighteen rows including spaces
and titles. And
everything should be self-explanatory. (It focuses on tuning income only, as
rebuilding is not as regular for me, and I think by its nature would
be more difficult to predict.)

Once you know your potential, you can begin to set goals. Once you
have goals, you can take steps to fulfill those goals. Then be happy
on the way to the bank. :)

There are these variables you fill in according to your choice:

Annual work weeks
Number of work days per week
Average tuning fee
Average number of pianos you will tune in a typical day
Percentage of gross earnings you pay yourself

The spreadsheet then calculates potential income the following ways:

Weekly Gross/Net
Monthly Gross/Net
Annual Gross/Net

Once you see this, and realize "Oh...all I need to do is schedule X
tunings every week," then you can start to fill your weeks up as far in
advance as you like.

This kind of stuff helps me get out of dreamworld and into a reality
that I can make
happen for myself (God willing, of course).

Please feel free to share anything like that that you've come up with.
I'm definitely not an Excel guru, and have only a beginner-level
familiarity with it; so I apologize in advance if it's crude. It is
simple, but I hope it's helpful.

John Formsma