glue pot

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue May 22 13:28:31 MDT 2007

I used to use "Wilstick", an animal glue in stiff jelly rather than pearl
form.  "Wilstick" was Heckscher's version, and "Winstick" was Fletcher and
Newman's (the two UK piano supply companies).

It was very handy for times when it was necessary to glue just a single
part, such as in replacing a broken hammer shank in the home.  I would place
a very small piece of the jelly glue in an old spoon and heat it with my
casting lamp (gas lighter), That way it was possible just to use as much as
was needed at the time, without warming up the whole jar (the recommended
method).  In any case, a glue pot is not needed for this glue.

Reflecting that Fletcher & Newman and Heckschers probably bought the glue
from the same source, I checked online today and found this:
http://www.sheppyindustries.co.uk/adhesives/scotch.htm

A disadvantage over pearl is that the jelly form apparently takes a little
longer to harden.  But I did find it pleasant to use, and now am of a mind
to buy more.

Have others tried the jelly form, and if so, have you any observations?

Best regards,

David.