Steaming out bushings (was how about for damper felts)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 22 17:49:23 MDT 2007

I'm a couple of days late for this, but I use an old pressure
cooker. They're everywhere for a couple of bucks at estate
sales and thrift stores, cheap because the weight is long
gone. I plugged the vent hole where the lost weight used to
sit, drilled and tapped a hole in the lid to fit a 1/4"
agraffe. I drilled a hole up through the shank of a monochord
agraffe, to intersect the hole, and screwed it into the lid. I
pre-soak the bushings with a squeeze bottle of warm water and
a touch of detergent while the steamer comes to a boil, then
cycle the keys through, picking out the last bushing while the
next is sitting there steaming.

Key end felts and backchecks are stripped off by dunking them
in the boiling water after the bushings are out and I've
removed the lid. This usually works wonderfully, and makes an
interesting looking soup, but the key end felts on this last
set I just did wouldn't let go for ANYTHING and I had to dunk
and iron three times and still had to scrape.

So, for what it's worth - another approach.

Ron N