Agraffe Counterbore Tool

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Thu May 24 08:51:16 MDT 2007

In a message dated 5/24/2007 6:47:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Terry writes:

Thanks for the input Bob. That's kinda what I thought, but my drill press has
a taper piece that is part of the press - and then the chuck goes on it - the
chuck is the female part and the part that is integral with the drill press
is the male tapered piece. So I might be able to put a very large chuck on my
counterbore tool, but I don't have any machine that I can install the male
tapered tool into. Your Jet drill press has a female piece that will accept a
tapered piece like my counterbore tool?

Yes, my Jet is a female taper, with the male on the chuck. Usually on lathes
and whatnot, the tool is male. With chucks it's sometimes different - see
_http://www.newmantools.com/tech/taper.htm#jacobs_
(http://www.newmantools.com/tech/taper.htm#jacobs)

"Most often, a drill chuck arbor has a longer end that is either a straight
shank or a male Morse Taper to fit into a drill press. The other, shorter end
of the arbor is a male Jacobs taper to fit into a drill chuck. If a drill press
has a non-removable male spindle, the taper is usually 33 Jacobs Taper."

____________________________________
JACOBS TAPERS
JACOBS     LARGE      SMALL

TAPER#    DIAMETER   DIAMETER    LENGTH

---------------------------------------

  0        .25000"    .22844     .43750

  1        .38400     .33341     .65625

  2        .55900     .48764     .87500

2 short    .54880     .48764     .75000

  3        .81100     .74610    1.21875

  4       1.12400    1.03720    1.65625

  5       1.41300    1.31611    1.87500

  6        .67600     .62409    1.00000

 33        .62401     .56051    1.00000

---------------------------------------

____________________________________
MORSE TAPERS
           LARGE      SMALL

MORSE     DIAMETER   DIAMETER

TAPER#      (A)        (B)       LENGTH

---------------------------------------

  0        .36510"    .25200     1-15/16

  1        .47500     .36900     2-1/16

  2        .70000     .57200     2-1/2

  3        .93800     .77800     3-1/16

  4       1.23100    1.02000     3-7/8

4-1/2     1.50000    1.26600     4-5/16

  5       1.74800    1.47500     4-15/16

  6       2.49400    2.11600     7

  7       3.27000    2.75000     9-1/2

What does anyone else do to trim agraffes? Just do 'em by hand? Sure don't
like that idea!  ;-)

Yes, because one isn't usually removing more than a scrape or two. The end
mill makes pretty quick work of it. I jumped on the tool part of your question,
but David Love addressed the other part, which is whether it's a good idea to
trim them down more than that. I think I'm with him on that.

Always looking for the easy way out,

A noble goal. I'm with you on that.

Bob Davis