Odd pin block

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 19:08:58 MDT 2007

Eloquently stated as only you can do!!!

Paul C

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:34 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Odd pin block

> List,
> I'm not the sharpest on new pin block installation but today I saw
> something that seemed odd.  While tuning an old Baldwin Grand from the
> thirties I pulled the action and for some reason touched the bottom of
> the pin block.  It was not drilled all the way through!  I don't think I
> have ever noticed a shallow drilled grand pin block before.  This got me
> to thinking about reasons why someone would drill this way?  I came up
> with 0!  This was a pin block installed by a technician here in the
> area.  He is not on this list and to be truthful I don't think much of
> his work.  So maybe its just one of those odd jobs that a less skilled
> technician would perform?  Or maybe its a common method used on grand
> pin blocks and my blind a-s just don't know it?  The grand blocks that I
> have dun, or helped do were drilled all the way through!  So you guys
> tell me.  What gives?  Thanks!

I can't realistically justify a mechanical case for extra
skill inherent in drilling a block all the way through,
compared to not, so I'd assume a reason. I assume the
perpetrator was/is under the impression/conviction/hope that
the pinblock not drilled through is more resistant to moisture
transfer, and some benefit to tuning stability or maintenance
of pin torque levels would/did/might result. There doesn't
seem to be any real evidence that there is any benefit to
doing this, nor does there seem to be any penalty. To through,
or not to through, that is the question. A hole by any other
name would be as deep as it needs to be.

I don't see any evidence that it matters one way or another,
other than the through hole being guaranteed deep enough.

Ron N