QUESTION ABOUT AN OLD PIANO

Shawn Brock shawn_brock at comcast.net
Thu May 24 23:03:32 MDT 2007

Hey man You should love John!  He is saving all those old uprights for you!
Its those who don't want to work on them that lets the rest have them.
Making a living is making a living.  No matter how you slice it!  I love
some of the old urs, but I would rather work on a new Bechstein.  That don't
mean that I will turn down money how ever.  I have to say though the only
complaints I have ever had were from people who had old star or piles of
Kimball.  You all know the ones!  The ones that have 15 pounds torque for
tuning pins.  The ones that have hammer felt that's coming off the molding
and so on!  So at this juncture I will make the confession that I don't care
to work on this stuff.  If others do that's good for them.  Some folks don't
like or need gratification in piano work.  That's okay!  Others how ever...
My limited experience is in the east and Mid west most old up rights are not
worth the trouble.  Here in Washington how ever its a little different.  We
don't have the drastic humidity swings like they do in the east.  So the old
pianos will last a little longer.  But...  What ever works for you I guess.