buzz

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat May 26 12:33:59 MDT 2007

Les,
I seem to remember that you may use hearing aids (I think I recall
you're pretty happy with your audiologist). Given that this noise just
might be in a difficult range for you, this might be a great time to
employ a younger assistant for this or a followup diagnostic visit.
Sometimes it is *so* hard to isolate a buzz, and an extra pair of
hands is invaluable. The extra ears could help too!
When you isolate what keys (at what key force) produce the buzz,
assign the assistant the task of repeating that note while you push on
the soundboard in suspect areas, check casters and other case parts to
see if they are causing the buzz etc. Of course the buzz could be from
loose screws on the key upstop rail or hammer rail (probably my first
area to focus on) so you should pull the action and address this
first.
Pictures on the walls, stuff behind the piano if it's an upright, are
also likely culprits. Screws, marbles, shards of glass under the
plate.
Time to voice super hard (or worn) hammers? Tighten all action (and
case) screws? Twist a bass string? Replace a bass string? The list
goes on and on.
Invite the young Associate who lives nearby, or some other young pair
of hands and ears to join you on your detective mission.
Patrick Draine (who does not have an assistant but realizes sometimes I should)