Howe, etc

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Thu May 31 07:46:17 MDT 2007

Hi  Rupert,

No problem!  Yes, Howe's book is "Scientific Piano Tuning and Servicing".
It was first published in 1947, and there are several later editions and
reprints.  If yours is an old copy, it might be an earlier edition, with
stuff in it that's different from mine.  But I will have another check
through the chapter on  "voicing" in case I missed something.  To be
honest, I don't like the idea of "kneading" hammer felt - it sounds quite
drastic and violent!  Any vigorous sideways attack on hammer felts could
quite easily destroy the hammers, I think.  Is there a particular piano
you are wrestling with, toning-wise, at the moment?

Best regards,

David.

David,

Thanks very much for your help.

I wanted to get his off quickly because I cannot
access Howe's book immediately, but I do remember it
was published in 1947 and entitled "Scientific piano
tuning and servicing" and came after his advice on
needling.

I will give you chapter and verse asap.

Rupert