has anyone ever tried this?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 11:37:47 MST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 11:02 AM, Michael Magness <IFixPianos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007 10:29 AM, paul bruesch <paul at bruesch.net> wrote:
> > I had the same question about pulling it 1/2 step sharp. RCT overpulls for
> > pitch correction is much less in the bass, too.
> >
> > As for muting the new string, the suggestion is to stick a piece of felt
> > between the new string and the nearest string on the next note. That way two
> > notes are playing one string each (obviously, this only applies to bi-chord
> > bass notes!!)
> >
> > Paul Bruesch
> > Stillwater, MN
> >

> > On 11/6/07, Steve Blasyak <atuneforyou at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey Now,
> > >
> > > I'm reluctant to stick my rather prominent nose into this topic, but.....
> > I have a few questions about advise given thus far.
> > >
> > > First Brian says its a wound single bass string. How do you mute a single
> > string and leave it for next time.
> > >
> > > The advise of pulling it 1/2 step sharp on a single bass string? I do this
> > on plain wire but bass stings? I was of the understanding that bass strings
> > at pitch are closer to the breaking point. Would a single wound bass string
> > tolerate being pulled a half step sharp? Sounds risky to me.
> > >
> > > Just a few thoughts and questions for the enlightened ones.
> > >
> > > Thanx in advance.
> > >
> > > Steve Blasyak
> > >
> > > OC Ca
> > >
> > > Pura Vida
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
> > today!
> >

> The advice for pulling it 1/2 tone sharp applies ONLY to a new string,
> this is not advisable once the stretch has been taken care of but it
> can help to stretch it faster. Of course just like any bass string, it
> would be done incrementally not in one fast pull. It will have you
> flinching inwardly as you do it the first few times but you will find
> it gets easier.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> The way some people find fault, you'd think there was some kind of reward.
> Michael Magness
> Magness Piano Service
> 608-786-4404
> www.IFixPianos.com
> email mike at ifixpianos.com

For the edification of all here's the original post<snip>
Brian wrote,
I have a client that lives pretty far away and I have a new single
wound string to replace in her piano.  In order to save another trip
out there *after* it is installed…you know, for string +stretch+ , is
there a way to pre-stretch the string so that there will be minimal
stretch after it is installed?
He then amplified the post by adding that it was a Betsy Ross spinet

Mike

email mike at ifixpianos.com