has anyone ever tried this?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 6 09:52:27 MST 2007

> First Brian says its a wound single bass string. How do you mute a
> single string and leave it for next time.

Actually, no. He said it was a single wound bass string. If
that's as opposed to a double wound bass string, it could be
one of a bichord. He didn't unambiguously describe what he
had, and no one asked for clarification before offering advice.

> The advise of pulling it 1/2 step sharp on a single bass string? I do
> this on plain wire but bass stings? I was of the understanding that bass
> strings at pitch are closer to the breaking point.

Understanding is different from what you and I have been told,
taught, or believe we heard. Understanding requires
information, which is readily available in the form of string
scaling formulas. A couple of scaling spreadsheets have even
been posted to the list.

>Would a single wound
> bass string tolerate being pulled a half step sharp? Sounds risky to me.

The question only has meaning when you know the percent of
breaking tension when the string is at pitch. In some cases,
it's quite safe. In others, not at all. How deep is a hole?

Ron N