1939 Steinway wippens

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Nov 7 07:34:31 MST 2007

Mismatched parts can create some performance problems so changing both at
the same time is advised.  Also, if you put on a new hammer which is likely
to be heavier than the old one, the old and lightweight repetition springs
can have problems lifting the new weight.  With a new hammer that is heavier
you will likely have to use a different knuckle position on the new shanks.
Possibly you will need to go all the way to 17 mm placing those on a wippen
designed for 15.5 mm.

Best in this case to do the entire job with Renner parts and hammers of your
choice: hammers, shanks, wippens, let off buttons, back checks, key frame
felt, balance rail punchings (unless it's an accelerated action), front rail
punchings, bushings, key end felt, precision balance the action Stanwood
style.  It might inspire them to do the rest of the piano and if they do
they won't have a half done action to go with it.  If you pick the right
hammer, they'll love you forever.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com