Gabler Stringing scale

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 8 06:00:46 MST 2007

> Thanks, I never considered measuring on a template instead of directly
> from the piano.
>
> Rex Roseman

The template's nice if the strings are off, but it's easier to
measure with the strings on. I cut a strip of thin aluminum
(0.020") something just under 3/8" wide and a couple of feet
long. I filed the end to a shallow bevel edge so it would
slide between the string and capo to pretty close to the
contact point between the two. A strip of Scotch Magic Mending
Tape on one side gives me an easily replaceable writing
surface. Starting at C-8, I lay the strip on and parallel to
the string, push the beveled end to the termination, and mark
where the center of the bridge pin falls on the tape. I do the
whole capo section(s) this way. I then tape the strip on a
plank or bench top with the beveled edge flush with the plank,
and tape a measuring tape right next to it. I can then
sequentially read off the measurements where the marks are and
log them onto my data sheet.
Ron N