1939 Steinway wippens

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Nov 9 06:58:52 MST 2007

HI JD
  May I slightly remonstrate?
   On American Steinway parts with the green scum syndrome,  replacing the
bushing & the pin will only result in a waste of time.   The culprit is in the
wood. Having done this on my own piano years ago I first  removed all the
bushings & soaked the parts in perchorlethylene as an  effort to remove or dislodge
the chemical culprit from the wood  itself, & then I rebushed & pinned.  A
year later green  slim & friction  was back with a vengence.
  It's like disturbing it just made it angry. Fortunately all that  expensive
white wood you refer to on new wippens comes with new bushings  and pinning
making it worth while.grin
  Dale

I  can't understand why anyone should suggest fitting new whippens. It
sounds  to me as if you just need to re-centre or at the very most
re-bush and  re-centre, since if by "vertigris" you mean verdigris,
then you  are talking of oxidation round the centre pins that has made
them  stiff.  The cost of a set of new wippens will be very high, they
probably won't be an exact match, and there is nothing to be gained
by  replacing them except the nice white-looking wood that will never
be seen  anyway.

JD