rich people

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Nov 10 19:19:50 MST 2007

 Interesting thread.?
Forgive me if this gets through twice.? It got bounced back to me the
first and second times, so I'm trying again.

I often see cheap new grands with PianoDiscs in them in multi-million
dollar homes.? I recently serviced one of these before a holiday party
that was going to include much of the San Francisco Symphony.? I felt
like leaving a note on the keyboard saying, "please don't blame the tuner..."?

The other side of that coin is I see very expensive grands in luxurious homes that only
get played at the annual Christmas party or when I come to tune them.?

Rich people are under different stresses than those of us who work in a
service industry.? They have similar problems, but on a grander scale.?
And they have money to hire people to help them deal with many of the
things that those less well-off have to deal with
personally.

Like many of those who have posted, I find that being yourself
eliminates much of the internal friction we feel when in a social
situation that otherwise might be uncomfortable. I find it hard to put
away the class-consciousness when one is treated as less than those
he/she is working for.? Sometimes
it's not the technician/gardener/housekeeper/ teacher that does the
face-rubbing.? Part of what we do requires diplomacy.? If that
diplomacy is not feigned, then you'll do well in a people-oriented
business.?

I lived in a privileged situation once, though I married into it.? The
money that created the lifestyle I was living was earned before I got
there (in the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "it was like that when I
got here!").? That alone carried much baggage, including innuendos of
marrying for money. I didn't have to work, and I am eternally grateful
for having the time to spend most of my son's first two years with
him.? But it never felt right to me, probably because I never felt it
wasn't mine to begin with.

Having lots of money CAN do funny things to people.?? Some people can
be themselves no matter what.? Some feel the need to put on airs.? I
didn't like what it did to me.? That marriage didn't last for many
reasons.? The fact that I did NOT wear THE--or practically any, for that matter--pants in the family didn't help much.? Difficulties
adapting to what I considered an excessive lifestyle was but one small
part.? Not getting along with my ex--in large part because a difference
in how we perceived money and what was considered "enough"--was the
biggest part.?

The truth is, I'm far happier doing what I do now than I ever was
living in a gilded cage.? Being an autonomous human being/piano
technician is something you should never take for granted.? If you've
ever given it up, you'll know what I mean.

Sorry for the long post.? Thanks for reading.

Dave Stahl