Collard & Collard

Anne Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Wed Nov 14 07:15:48 MST 2007

your message___________________________
I guess I should have been more specific.  I was wondering about any
particular plate anomalies or weaknesses, mortising issues the might create
problems with teardown, things like that.  It's a project I'm debating about
getting involved in because of the age and limitations of the instrument.  I
don't see many of these of this age.

David Love

Hi David,

I have two of these in the shop as we write, and  Abel is recovering hammers for one of them right now.

Doremus's suggestions are all excellent.  (I love the "whisper of lost motion" description...perfect!)  I have only a few additional thoughts.

First off, this is the piano I mentioned previously with the 2 in. long ivory keycover heads.  This has proved to be a problem for finding replacements for the missing ones!

You may indeed run into some mortising issues that will require some reconstruction after the plate goes back in.  This depends upon exactly when in the mid-19th century this piano originated.  Indeed, it may not be a "pure" English action if its late enough.   I would pray you would not try to put a modern action inside.

I find it generally completely unnecessary to replace the soundboard except under unusual circumstances.    The pinblock can be reinforced if necessary with modern epoxy techniques.

These were well made instruments.   Take your time, think before acting, don't throw out history.   calm logic will take you through the job.

AA