The Duplex affect --an experiment

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 15:46:33 MST 2007

HI Dave
  Yes & no.
  No, because we don't' want the noise from a poor insufficient  draft angle
on the front duplex. Yes because it aids in a freer sound.
   There is a reason for the evolution of the capo system  & that IMO was to
get rid of the woody sounds caused by the old agraffe  systems that used to be
employed all the way to the top (note 88). Listen to the  old European
designs & some older American).  WOody choppy, boring  tone. The ability of the
string to bend without being completely damped is  where the well made front
duplex advantage comes into modern piano sound.
  IN the old system, even really good voicing won't decrease the woody
knocking sound, nor will it increase sustain much. I know....Always trade  offs.
  Dale

>  Well, of course that was my point.  From my observations -  admittedly
> not double blind studies - I have not missed anything nor  did I want any
> sound I couldn't get by traditional voicing  techniques.
> I'll admit that the front duplex does make a  difference.  It's just that
> it's not a difference I  want to keep at the expense of not being able to
> control the sounds it  makes.
>
> DP

Got it. Me either. The less  front duplicity, the better. <G>
Ron N