Bedding the Patent Action

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Nov 17 09:18:23 MST 2007

Hi Stéphane

There is nothing to tighten the side (cheek) blocks with. No screws.. no
sign they were ever battened down at all. The front rail and side blocks
are held in place by the key front rail.

I cant say I have ever seen (read noticed) a floating front rail as a
design feature... and thats why the suspicion. That said.. the thing is
so stiff as is you dont notice any touch related issues at all.

This is a grand actio by the way in case there is any confusion.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric.

    Could it be that when you tighten the side blocks properly the front
    rail
    doesn't float anymore ?
    I had this surprise on my Knabe: when well tightened, the blocks who are
    mounted on the "mobile" part of the keybed bring the keybed in
    contact with
    the action front rail.  So in this case, the action front rail doesn't
    float.

    Can anyone confirm the existence of this strange arrangement ?  I'm
    not sure
    if that mobile keybed is a clever original feature or a curious
    problem that
    happened during the piano's life.  What would be the gain to have good
    contact between the action and the keybed if that part of the keybed
    is not
    that firmly attached to the rest of the case ?  And when the action
    is not
    in the piano, that part of the keybed seems fragile, in the way that
    it can
    move 2 or 3 millimeters easily.  Sounds curious.

    Best regards.

    Stéphane Collin.