Bedding the Patent Action

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sat Nov 17 04:37:49 MST 2007

Hi Ric.

Could it be that when you tighten the side blocks properly the front rail
doesn't float anymore ?
I had this surprise on my Knabe: when well tightened, the blocks who are
mounted on the "mobile" part of the keybed bring the keybed in contact with
the action front rail.  So in this case, the action front rail doesn't
float.
Can anyone confirm the existence of this strange arrangement ?  I'm not sure
if that mobile keybed is a clever original feature or a curious problem that
happened during the piano's life.  What would be the gain to have good
contact between the action and the keybed if that part of the keybed is not
that firmly attached to the rest of the case ?  And when the action is not
in the piano, that part of the keybed seems fragile, in the way that it can
move 2 or 3 millimeters easily.  Sounds curious.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

-

On this one, the whole front rail is floating the same amount, and the
thing is stiff enough that even on a hard blow you dont really feel it
giving.