Sympathetic Vibration

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Tue Nov 20 13:35:04 MST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 11:18 AM, A440A at aol.com wrote:

> Oh yes.  The V-pro plates often have very noticeable "gong" sound
> to them.  I
> tune several in recording studios that have a pronouced plate ring
> in the 5th
> octave.  I think it may be one of those things that goes unnoticed
> until it
> is pointed out, and then, that is all you can hear.  (I don't
> mention it to the
> engineers).
> Regards, Ed Foote

Absolutely. Yamaha C series instruments are famous (or infamous) for
what I've always termed plate resonance,
usually around the bottom part of the capo area and on up. If my
client doesn't mention it, I don't either, since it's a congenital
issue on a small percentage of these pianos. One of the few downsides
in an otherwise excellent series of mass-produced grands.

xoDA

www.davidandersenpianos.com