Steinway Old Action Picture [was Steinway action noise]

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 21 12:35:18 MST 2007

I beg your pardon..  you said simply "lever flange", and packing the
hammer rail has been mentioned several times along with the whippen.  It
really is quite easy to get these kind of things crossed up in such a
forum to begin with John.  You dont need to start getting down on folks
because of a simple misunderstanding.  Mine here was based on the fact
that you were compensating for the difference in lengths from the hammer
flange center to the hamer flange screw hole.... so I figured thats the
flange you were talking about.  Please excuse...

Sheeesh....

Personally,  I wouldnt move the whippen longer out if it was in the
proper place to begin with just because the spread is wrong.  If the
spread is wrong and its because the hammer flange center is in the wrong
place... then thats the one to correct.

Cheers
RicB

    At 10:25 +0100 21/11/07, Richard Brekne wrote:

     >How can this difference be delt with by raising the front of the
     >flange ?  I havent done the trig to figure it out... but off hand
     >seems like to gain 1 mm spread by rotating the flange on its 23 mm
     >arc you'd need quite a raise.

        I think you need to read the thread again and pay a bit of
        attention.
        Nobody's taking about the hammer flange.