Steinway Old Action Picture [was Steinway action noise]

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 13:18:54 MST 2007

At 20:35 +0100 21/11/07, Richard Brekne wrote:

>I beg your pardon..  you said simply "lever flange", and packing the
>hammer rail has been mentioned several times along with the whippen.
>It really is quite easy to get these kind of things crossed up in
>such a forum to begin with John.  You dont need to start getting
>down on folks because of a simple misunderstanding.  Mine here was
>based on the fact that you were compensating for the difference in
>lengths from the hammer flange center to the hamer flange screw
>hole.... so I figured thats the flange you were talking about.

When I say lever flange I mean lever flange and not hammer flange.

>Personally,  I wouldnt move the whippen longer out if it was in the
>proper place to begin with just because the spread is wrong.

If it were in the proper place to begin with who would move it!  In
view of the fact that the hammer-shanks and flanges on Greg's piano
are not original, the lever is _not_ in the proper place in relation
to them, and that is the most important relationship involved.

>   If the spread is wrong and its because the hammer flange center is
>in the wrong place... then thats the one to correct.

Oh.  And how would you set about that?  By re-profiling the flanges
and then taking off all the hammer-heads and re-gluing them to
compensate for the difference? Or perhaps you're going to plug the
flange and redrill for centres and drop-screws in the proper position
as well as moving the hammer-heads -- and this on a job that is going
to be done mainly for goodwill.  Do me a favour!

JD