Steinway Old Action Picture [was Steinway action noise]

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 21 13:41:14 MST 2007

JD

     >Personally,  I wouldnt move the whippen longer out if it was in the
     >proper place to begin with just because the spread is wrong.

        If it were in the proper place to begin with who would move it!  In
        view of the fact that the hammer-shanks and flanges on Greg's piano
        are not original, the lever is _not_ in the proper place in
        relation
        to them, and that is the most important relationship involved.

Like I said... if the new whippens end up being exactly the same
dimensions as the old ones and the reason for the spread problem is the
hammer shank and flanges... then I would make every attempt to address
them and leave the whippen alone.

And, in answer to your question below.. I would do that by using the
original flanges and if I felt it necessary I'd reposition the
knuckles.  Both are easy procedures.

Popping the hammers and regluing 1 mm out is not a big deal.  Given the
way the rest of this job seems to have been done... I wouldnt be
suprised this would be a good idea anyways. Tho... to be sure... In
Gregs place I might just order a set of non flanged shanks with the
knuckels at 16 mm, get the old flanges and go with that.

Btw... grin.. I did try the re-profiling thing once.... not a good
idea.  Much easier to just use the old flanges.  Probably also just as
easy would be to pull the hammer shank rail out... tho I've never tried
moving one of these... I've seen it done and it doesnt look all that
difficult.

Cheers
RicB

     >   If the spread is wrong and its because the hammer flange center is
     >in the wrong place... then thats the one to correct.

        Oh.  And how would you set about that?  By re-profiling the flanges
        and then taking off all the hammer-heads and re-gluing them to
        compensate for the difference? Or perhaps you're going to plug the
        flange and redrill for centres and drop-screws in the proper
        position
        as well as moving the hammer-heads -- and this on a job that is
        going
        to be done mainly for goodwill.  Do me a favour!

        JD