Steinway Old Action Picture [was Steinway action noise]

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 15:50:47 MST 2007

At 21:41 +0100 21/11/07, Richard Brekne wrote:

>Like I said... if the new whippens end up being exactly the same
>dimensions as the old ones and the reason for the spread problem is
>the hammer shank and flanges... then I would make every attempt to
>address them and leave the whippen alone.

Frankly I am more interested in what experienced Steinway technicians
do and have done since time immemorial and I refer you to the posting
below from Francisco Motta which lends sanction, if any were needed,
to common practice.

Since you use your buzz-word "spread" and talk of the "spread
problem", you will of course be able to give an explanation,
supported by real numbers, of what problems you suppose will ensue
from using this time-honoured procedure, and let me give you a start
: your blessed "spread", by which I presume you mean the distance
from hammer-centre to lever-centre, will be precisely what it was in
the original.  There therefore IS no "spread problem".  For you now
to give precise figures for the disastrous results that will ensue
from packing the lever flange.  Until you are able to do that I see
no point in reading your long effusions, which I rarely do anyway.
Unless you can give figures, as I can, your opinions are just so much
verbiage.

JD